CREATING AN ACCOUNT
To use the full capabilities including modifying information and creating reviews you need to have a free ActiveCaptain account. An account is required so that we can contact you if we need to clarify information you have entered. In addition, it allows us to award you points for your contributions which leads to free samples and even an ActiveCaptain hat! Find out more about ActiveCaptain points here.
1. Click on "Register" in the upper right side of the website.
2. Enter your email address and a password.
3. You will receive a confirmation email immediately. If you do not see it in your inbox, check your spam folder and add ActiveCaptain to your contacts or "safe senders" list.
4. Click on the link in the confirmation email to validate your account.
5. You can now login to the ActiveCaptain website and access all features.
1. Click on "Login" in the upper right side of the website.
2. Enter your email address and password.
3. To skip the login step in the future, check the "Remember me" checkbox. This will automatically login you in on this computer in the future.
4. If you do not remember your password, click on the "Lost password" link and enter your email address. Your password will be emailed to you.
There are 6 tabs across the top of the ActiveCaptain home page. These tabs allow you to access the various features of the ActiveCaptain website.
Home: The Home tab simply takes you back to the home page for the ActiveCaptain website.
Live Map: Clicking on this tab will take you to the heart of the ActiveCaptain website, the online live map. Click this tab to access tens of thousands of marinas, anchorages, hazards, local knowledge information, as well as, tens of thousands of reviews from other boaters geographically on NOAA charts, satellite images, or street maps.
Locations App: Provides information about the ActiveCaptain Locations App for IOS, Android, Mac, and PC including links for downloading the app.
Partners Page: Provides details about the Partner program, ActiveCaptain's promotional program for marinas. Partners help support the website making this free resource available for everyone. Please support the Partners!
Quick Lists: The Quick Lists tab provides a quick way to access marina information in a text-base format. It can be used if you wish to access the ActiveCaptain data on a device that does not support Flash or if your interent connection is too slow or unreliable to support the map-based Live Map.
Fuel Lists: The Fuel Lists allow you to view current fuel pricing and other fuel information in an easy to access form. You can select a US state or a country and choose how to sort the information. You can sort by: Diesel price, Gas Price, Name, or City. Every price has a date associated with it. Any fuel price that is older than 30 days is automatically removed. Only current pricing is displayed in the lists.
Under Live Map tab is a Help Card. The Help Card is the last tab on the left side of the window. If it is not displayed,
you can click and drag the tabs up or click on the down arrow at the bottom. The Help Card contains useful information for using the Live Map features.
LIVE MAP - MOVING THE CHART
When you are looking at a chart or map you can move to another location or increase/decrease the scale by zooming and panning.
1. Zoom: On the left side of the chart or map is a slider tool. To zoom in either click on the "+" at the top or click and drag the slider up.
To zoom out click on the "-" at the bottom or click and drag the slider down. You can also double click on a location on the chart to zoom in one level
and center the chart on that location.
2. Pan: To move the chart on the screen click and drag the mouse anywhere on the chart.
3. If the NOAA chart or satellite image is not visible try zooming out or selecting a different map type from the four buttons in the upper right of the map window.
You can also find marinas by using "Find Marinas" or go to a specific location by using "Location Search", entering a latitude/longitude, or selecting
an ICW mile marker. Go to the Help Card for more details.
LIVE MAP - FIND MARINA
If you are looking for a spcific marina, you can us "Find Marina" on the bottom left of the Live Map.
1. Click on "Find Marina" on the bottom left.
2. Enter the text you want to find, you do not need to enter the full name, and select "Find." This will display all marinas whose name contains the text entered. In parenthesis beside the marina is location information to assist in selecting the correct marina.
3. Highlight the marina you want and click "Go". The marker will appear in the center of the screen.
LIVE MAP - VIEWING DETAILS
To view additional information about a marker:
1. Click on the marker and a balloon will appear.
2. Select "Show details" at the bottom and a window will be displayed with details for the marker.
3. The tabs across the top of the pop-up window will take you to more information or to user reviews and comments.
LIVE MAP - CHANGING DETAILS
To change or add to the details:
1. Click on the heading for the information, for example, "Name, address, phone". An edit field will appear.
2. Make your additions or corrections and select the "Submit" button.
3. All changes are validated and will be marked "New updates" until accepted into the permanent database.
4. You will receive one ActiveCaptain point for each change or addition accepted.
LIVE MAP - WRITING A REVIEW OR COMMENT
Marinas and anchorages can be reviewed. Hazards can receive comments. There are two ways to enter a review or comment:1. Click in the marker to display its balloon. Then click Rate it or Add comment.
2. Find the marker in the list on the Markers card. Then click on Rate it or Add comment there.
You may only have a single review/rating/comment on a marker. If you want to update or modify your review simply select
Rate it or Add comment. Your previous review or comment will be displayed. You can then edit your previous review or comment.
If you submit the new review/comment, it'll receive the current date.
LiVE MAP - ADDING A MARKER
To add a new marker:
1. Find the exact location where you would like to add a marker.
2. Press-and-hold the mouse button at that position for about a second. A pop-up menu will be displayed.
3. Select the type of marker you would like to create and fill out the form.
4. The marker will be displayed with a [New] status until it has been reviewed and accepted into the database.
5. You will receive ten ActiveCaptain points for each new marker accepted.
For more information about the many other capabilities of the ActiveCaptain website, including reading and adding reviews, please refer to the Help Card. Thank you for supporting ActiveCaptain!
- Interactive Cruising Guidebook - Getting started
- Interactive Cruising Guidebook - Getting started
- Products and Tips We Love
- Ditch Bag List
- Are You Ready to Abandon Ship?
- Weekend Boater:
- Maintenance Must Do's - Spring maintenance tips
- Safety Check - tips for keeping safe
- Rules of the Road - learn the rules for safe boating
- The Perfect Boat - buying the perfect boat
- Boat Speak - learning boating terms
- Say No to C-O - preventing CO poisoning
- Nav-Comm for Weekend Mariners - portable devices
- VHF 101 - demystifying the marine radio
- Geeky stuff: